Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a disorder in which the thyroid gland produces insufficient amounts of specific hormones.
In the early stages of hypothyroidism, there may be no visible symptoms. Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to a variety of health issues over time, including obesity, joint discomfort, infertility, and heart disease.
Once you get diagnosed with hypothyroidism, your doctor will prescribe medications to treat your condition. Apart from this, there are several lifestyle changes you can act on to supplement the medication and manage hypothyroidism. These are simple yet effective tips that will surely make a huge difference for anyone dealing with hypothyroidism!
1. Iodine rich diet - Have an iodine rich diet that includes whole grains, legumes, lean meats, and colourful fruits and vegetables
2. Regular Strength Training - Include strength training is your regular workout routine
3. Sleep - Ensure that you get sufficient sleep each night to manage the fatigue that often accompanies Hypothyroidism
4. Healthy diet - Eat a fruit and vegetable-rich diet
5. Manage stress- Practice yoga and meditation for stress relief
1. Soy rich diet - Soy can hamper thyroid hormone absorption, so try not to have too much of it
2. Excessive Fibre - Fibre is an absolutely essential part of any diet, so you should never cut it out of your diet completely. However, fibre can obstruct hormone absorption, so don’t have it in excess.
3. Cruciferous veggies - Like cauliflower or broccoli in excess should be avoided, and especially ensure that these are cooked thoroughly when you do have them.